Friday, August 15, 2014

I finally read Outlander.

My mother-in-law has been trying to get me to read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon for quite a while. I had always meant to read it, but always got distracted by other books that I wanted to read instead (ie-Anything by Neil Gaiman). And after seeing that a new show on Starz was putting out Outlander, I decided it was time. 

Plus, the fact that everything is set in two different time periods both of which I love, who couldn't resist? And in Scotland no less!

Claire, the heroine, falls back in time to 1745 Scotland while on her 2nd honeymoon with her husband Frank Randall during 1945. She's trying to reconnect with him after 7 years apart during the war where she was a nurse and he was a soldier.

1940s Claire

1740s Claire

 There is everything you can imagine in this novel, intrigue, love, marriage, sex, and a witch trial!

 I've waited so long to read this novel because of the fact that it's genre is Romance. I also couldn't imagine traveling back in time already married and falling in love with a Scotsman and sleeping with him (after they were married of course). But, everything was so well thought out and logical! Once I continued reading, I slowly began to believe why she did it and how it happened and it was all very very much understandable.

Imagine being sent back in time two hundred years as a woman! There are things you have to just give the poor lady some leeway.

As I'm super immature, there was only one time I laughed while reading one of the sex scenes... but that was because "slippery cleft" sounded so comical to me. I apologize, I might be 10 years old.

If you're not squeamish about reading about loving sex inside of marriage, bloody fights and injuries, accusations of witchery, then I suggest you go buy this book immediately and start reading! I'm already on the second book and I love it.

I also watched the first episode of Outlander on Starz, and it's my new favourite show. So get on that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment